It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 5:53 pm

New Features

Any thing to do with Tree It, post and read about it here.
  • Author
joannevebaby

New Features

PostFri Jun 10, 2022 4:48 pm

Hello there!

I wanted to suggest some new features that I think would be extremely useful in many cases.
Thank you so much for the continuous effort to update this app!

Here's a list of things I wish TreeIt had:

1) History tab, like Photoshop where you can view the changes you've made or even go back to a certain point by clicking on the older change to compare the old version with the new one.
history.png
history.png (6.04 KiB) Viewed 2359 times

2) Auto Save, It would be extremely useful to have one, in case the app crashes or something happens, maybe an option to turn it on/off and how often it should save, perhaps every 5/10/30 mins.

3) A Reworked + Colored Select/Move/Scale Tool like Unreal Engine or other engines, I know there is one already but it often feels confusing on which axis you're scaling or where you should be clicking/dragging. It also feels limiting at times when you want to move a leaf card a certain direction but it doesn't go or it kinda rotates weirdly, that's why I said reworked, it would be helpful if we can move/rotate/scale the leaves however we wanted while it is attached to the trunk/branches.
scale.jpg
scale.jpg (15.01 KiB) Viewed 2359 times

4) A Hierarchy based system for the trees.

Child of Child (Leaves)
^
Child (Branch)
^
Parent (Trunk)

And each branch and the leaves attached to it having their own identity, so when you use it with Pivot Painter In Unreal each branch/leaf moves independently from each other.
https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/AnimatingObjects/PivotPainter/PivotPainter2/

5) An option to remove the sky background and be able to choose our own solid color for the background as well as change the light intensity.

6) I don't know how doable this is, maybe a sculpt tool? For minor details like trunk holes etc and the UV's adjust automatically?

7) Binary FBX exports rather than ASCII or maybe a new option for Binary, it feels kinda repetitive having to go through a different program to convert the ASCII FBX to a Binary one and then get it to Blender etc.

8) A proper root system for the trunks, so you don't need to create + load a separate .tre with branches that are crinkled and facing down.

9) A Human for scale next to the trees that we can maybe also scale to match the scale of things in other engines like the height of the Unreal Engine Mannequin. It would be extremely useful, I find myself having to go through imports and exports so many times to find the scale I'm looking for.

9a) An option for the app to automatically adjust the scaling of things to match Unreal/Unity scale? Like how blender supports this feature.

10) The ability to ctrl + C/V (copy/paste) a selected branch/leaf or group and freely moving them around their respective attach points being the trunk for branches or branches for leaves etc.

11) Either removing or setting the zoom up/out boundary quite a bit further, I often try to zoom out to view a really big tree I'm making for Unreal but I cant cause there's a limit, so I have to keep scaling the tree up/down.

12) Support for thicker trunks, I know you can override the max radius of the trunk but usually it ends up looking wonky and there's some weird results, it would be nice if there's a proper way of making really thick trees.
trunk.jpg
trunk.jpg (63.95 KiB) Viewed 2359 times

Thank you for your time and thank you again for all the amazing work you're doing!
Hopefully we'll see some of these implemented one day!

EVOLVED

Site Admin

Re: New Features

PostTue Jun 14, 2022 4:48 pm

Quite a list of stuff here.

1) This will not be doable unfortunately due to the way in which undo/redo works in treeit.
2) I will take look at this for the next update.
3) this wont be possible due to the way objects are attached to the tree and do not have a free translation mat. I might make it so meshes have an option to be freed up and not attached to the tree might be useful for placing objects freely.
4) not sure if possible as trunk/branch/leaf are modeled as one object/mesh, i have no experience with ue or its pointer system so wont be adding it anyway.
5) * added sky color option in the lighting setting, you have to match ground color in options to created a pure solid color though.
6) I did have a look at this a few years back as a option for vertex editing, the issue is that adjusting anything would cause any vertex changes to be lost. I did think about having spheres that can be attached to the tree that would modify vertices that are with in its influence but this is going to be costly and difficult to do. the only other alternative here is to add a tessellator (on the cpu) and displace vertex in a shader using a height map texture with the results then saved on export.
7) the .obj format should be loadable in blender, not sure why blender dose not support the ascii fbx format though.
8) tree it did have a root system but was removed, I might add an "import" mesh at some point which should make the current crude method bit better and more efficient.
9) * has now been added, changed the markings to m for meters as well.
9a) you can set a fixed export scale in options>export but it will take a bit of trial and error to get right as im not sure what ue/unity world scale is.
10) Copy/pasting elements won't be possible as the way in which tree it is setup.
11) * cam/world now scales with the global tree scale value.

joannevebaby

Re: New Features

PostWed Jun 15, 2022 7:56 pm

Thank you so much for the quick updates and for considering some of these features!

The human you added for scale was DEFINITELY useful, but a bit deceiving in terms of the size of it so since I'm a digital artist I went ahead and drew my own human figure as you can see from the image below. I wanted to leave the .png of it here so you can use this one instead, it's free to use for anyone else as well. Do whatever you please with it. That's my little contribution to this awesome software, thank you for your continuous efforts!
human.jpg
human.jpg (203.78 KiB) Viewed 2306 times

Here's the link (the image is stretched which is 100% intended, it makes the human look normal): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ylP8Ub1qnAvDyQdu0Q_dkzHKjNe_xPbz/view

I don't know if this is doable, it would be nice to be able to move the figure closer/further from the tree, if not then it's perfectly fine!

For anyone using TreeIt with Unreal Engine, I went ahead and did some testing to find the correct scale to the Unreal Mannequin and it seems that 107 is 100% precise but you can just do 110 if you don't mind the tree being a few pixels taller.
scale.jpg
scale.jpg (41.44 KiB) Viewed 2306 times

There's some crashes with this build, when the app is open in the background for a while, it randomly crashes and gives this error:
error.png
error.png (4.06 KiB) Viewed 2306 times

There's also this other issue that causes the app to crash but this time without an error, if you add leaves to the default tree, and then go ahead and max the Leaf Segments, Leaf Sides and Stem Sides it crashes, same thing if you enable the cone option with these exact settings.

Thank you for your time! Have a great day/night everyone!

Return to Tree It