It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:46 am

Texture atlas is broken

Any thing to do with Tree It, post and read about it here.
  • Author
somedevsomewhere

Texture atlas is broken

PostSat Oct 29, 2022 5:26 pm

The texture atlas is a super handy feature for optimizing texture lookups...but it is so broken and I just can't stand trying to get it to work anymore.

Sometimes when exporting your mesh and importing into unreal you get your atlas uvs for all the meshes for one material....about 1% of the time(I'm being dramatic but it sure feels like it). For the last 2 days I haven't successfully imported an .fbx into unreal with the proper amount of material slots for my atlas. There aren't any other textures being used anywhere except the 4 I pack into a 2048*2048 each 1024*1024.
Currently I have a tree I am working on that will import one of the meshes as its own set of textures and it just never ever works. I have the trunk as its own material, and then the atlas. That's all I want. However I will get 3 or 4 or 5 slots everytime that doesn't make any sense. If you create the atlas and close the program and reopen it you have to go through the process of creating the atlas again as it reverts back to every mesh/leaf with its own material slot even if you 'load atlas'. Loading an atlas does absolutely nothing unless you go through the process again....and even then it's not guaranteed to work.

Also what about creating a texture atlas for the imposters? To double your drawcalls for a game by having to use an extra material slot is putting a lot of performance on the table.

Another note is that the stump/blending trunk textures don't seem to work unless I am missing a setting somewhere. Not a huge deal I can do some work in the shader in engine for that. The issue is once the blend texture is created the stump textures are not there anymore. They are loaded in the preview but they do not export nor do they show up while editing the tree

Return to Tree It