It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 pm

A little help wanted

Any thing to do with mapscape, post and read about it here.
  • Author
Wolfyboy

A little help wanted

PostTue Apr 22, 2014 1:36 am

Hello guys, I'm new to DarkBasic Pro. I've downloaded Map Scape about a week ago and I love how it looks and feels like one of those old BSP editors that I've worked with for so long (Quake, Half-Life 1 and 2). However, I do have a couple of basic (no pun intended :lol: ) questions that don't seem to get answered anywhere, through Google searches ór on TGC forums.

How do I get the textures of my map to work in DarkBasic Pro? I tried loading a simple map into DBP, and while it did show my map (and even showed the baked lighting that I've inserted) it doesn't show any of the textures that I applied. Do I need to have some sort of special texture folder in my project's folder? Loading the effect-file also doesn't work, and the compiler tells me that the file doesn't exist, so I'm guessing I'm missing some files.

This next one isn't really a question, but rather a bug report: almost always after using Map Scape for about ten minutes, regardless of what I'm doing, the program creates an error message saying that it needs to close. The error message asks if it should save the map's progress, but doing so will resort in the file's contents being deleted. After that the program closes (obviously). I'm running a Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 7700 HD and Windows 7 64 bit.

I hope you guys can help a newbie like myself out. Map Scape looks like a great tool, and its really nice to see how much the community has done for DBP and it really helps people like myself who are trying to get into game programming.

Samkm

Re: A little help wanted

PostThu Apr 24, 2014 7:13 pm

Hey! Sorry for a slow reply!
How do I get the textures of my map to work in DarkBasic Pro?

The maps exported from Mapscape will automatically look for their textures in the same directory they're loaded from. You only need to call 'load object', just make sure that all the texture files you're using in your map are in the same folder as the map file :)
Best way to do this is to go to Options under the Tools menu, and check the 'Export textures' box - that automatically includes all the textures your map is using when you export it!
almost always after using Map Scape for about ten minutes, regardless of what I'm doing, the program creates an error message saying that it needs to close.

Are you minimising Mapscape at any point? That does happen unfortunately :/
It's a bug with DBPro (Mapscape was made in DBPro), so there's not much anyone can do about it! But you're right, I think the save feature after Mapscape has crashed is bugged, because it does seem to blank the map file.
To make sure this doesn't screw up your maps, make sure you save every now and then, and try not to leave Mapscape minimised when doing something else, or use Ctrl Alt Delete while it's open, that's normally what causes it to crash. And if it does crash and asks you if you want to save before exit, remember to click No :P
Good luck!

Wolfyboy

PostTue May 13, 2014 12:49 pm

Alright, its been a while since I checked back here. :) I'm going to see if I can get the textures to work now. I will comment back to let you know if it worked.

Wolfyboy

PostTue May 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Okay. It seems like your exporter is broken or something. I tried the 'export textures' option, but since I've done that I can only export files that do not appear to exist anywhere else (?). Literally, the file doesn't exist in the map I saved the .dbo in, only Map Scape can see the file and it only appears with a lock-icon next to it.

Samkm

PostWed May 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Ah, no, that's not MapScape, I've had that problem with other programs when I try to export to a location I don't have permission to export to... Try making a folder on your desktop, exporting the map inside that folder, then copying the whole folder to where ever your project is!
Good luck :P

Return to Mapscape