24/12/2014

Get the latest news here.
  • Author

EVOLVED

Site Admin

24/12/2014

PostWed Dec 24, 2014 7:16 am

Map Scape 3

So up until the end of September mapscape 3 was my main focus, I've managed to get quite a bit done in a short space of time with most of geometry editing functionality implemented. This include the creation, selection, position/scale/rotating/shear, face selection, vertex editing and displacement. I did have to implement my own poly ray cast to get the selection of both objects and their faces, which was a total pain to do and unfortunately is quite slow due to dbp being so dam slow.

I have also successfully managed to get my own csg operations working this includes carving/hollowing/clip/extrude/union. I did hit a lot of problems when getting them to function correctly and was no easy task, I also had to add my own poly to poly collision for carving to work properly. So the speed of these csg operations is a little disappointing, but they work none the less.

I do have the adv lighting working with the new mapscape, which has hit the compile times making progress a little slow now. My task now is to work on material and texturing. I have started to work on the texture browser which is some what implemented.

Problems

So since having the advanced lighting working in mapscape 3 Ive hit some major issues with performance when creating a large number of objects (500+). I have add a union function that will combine objects to reduce draw calls but a occlusion solution is going to be needed. I think as of this moment a portal culling solution will be the most realistic approach to occlusion due to dbp quite slow, so a per-object approach will not likely be doable.

Adv lighting

Ive now made a small update that incorporates a few minor tweaks in to the Adv lighting sys. Ive added specular glossiness that takes up the previous emissive channel. Also tweaked the volume clouds to be tad more realistic looking and added a cloud layer to sky shader. SSAO has completely been reworked and is now much faster and somewhat nicer looking then my previous technique.

Tree It (now free)

After much consideration Ive decide to make Tree It free for eveyone, if you like this tool (or any of my other tools) please support the cost of hosting the site by making a small donation.

http://www.evolved-software.com/treeit/treeit

just1

Re: 2412/2014

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 10:48 am

Hi Evolved! Nice stuff like everytime!
You use a single render for Wpos but there is methods to reconstruct it from single depth pass.I know that you used it a year before... Why you switсh to full render pass? There is technique from Crytek that reconstruct it with precision
http://mynameismjp.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... m-depth-3/

EVOLVED

Site Admin

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 8:26 pm

@just1

Thank you for the link, that depth to world position method amazingly it realy dose work well. I'm now going to make some changes to implement it.

just1

PostMon Jan 05, 2015 12:02 am

@Evolved

It really can give fps increase.Anyway I happy that can help :)

Return to Announcements