It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

Amazing software, but lacking FBX export

Any thing to do with Tree It, post and read about it here.
  • Author
Strkl

Amazing software, but lacking FBX export

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 8:18 pm

I played around with this tool, and its an amazing tool.
I have no idea if its still in development, but one of the best tree generator around the web.

Unfortunately it lacks one huge feature, and I can't understand why its not here :

Why isn't it possible to export to .FBX ?

The software already generate all the data (vertex color, vertex normals,...), but the simple .obj export (.x and .dbo are pretty much deprecated in the 3d world), don't store Vertex Color.
It may be an error on my side, but the OBJ export breaks the Vertex Normals (or doesnt export them).

Is the FBX export still something on the roadmap, or did SpeedTree killed the creator of this software because they don't want a good free alternative ? :P

Other than that the software is incredible ! It could be even more awesome with a few features like :
-Top / Left / Right camera
- Render to texture using different buffer (for example, being able to render normals ! Generating branches texture with leaves is great but you can only render to texture the diffuse !)
-LOD export ?

thanks !

Nova

Re: Amazing software, but lacking FBX export

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 11:18 am

You can render normals (As well as specular, sub surface scattering and wind information), by turning on vertex colors, with the vertex color button in the toolbar, then under the trunk tab, near the top, you can chose the type of vertex colors to display.

Strkl

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 3:54 pm

You [i]can render normals (As well as specular, sub surface scattering and wind information), by turning on vertex colors, with the vertex color button in the toolbar, then under the trunk tab, near the top, you can chose the type of vertex colors to display.
Hmm, I may have missed it ?[/i]

here is an example branch I was making ( the goal was to generate the albedo and normal texture of this)

But the vertex color display doesn't really gives me what I need :

The result I am looking for, looks more or less like this : http://www.lorentzen.se/anders/web/port ... wn_web.jpg

Nova

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 9:14 am

It's under the tree tab, not the trunk, sorry.

EVOLVED

Site Admin

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 12:52 am

Small update has been made to treeit to which Ive "tried" to add my own .fbx ascii export. I have not properly tested the export other than loading up a model in paint3d as I do not own any proper 3d authoring software.

emihich

PostSun Jan 28, 2018 6:30 am

I think the software is amazing , congratulation
However I've tried and it just does not export
wind animation , via FBX !
at least , I just can't open it in Blender or 3dsMax 2018 or 2015
Attachments
2018-01-28.jpg
2018-01-28.jpg (246.56 KiB) Viewed 15605 times

Nemo67200

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Same problème here...i can't open the fbx file with Blender (Ascii not read).
Can you fix this ?

Jameswh

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 8:50 am

Maybe try different versions of blender, the person 2 posts up can load it in blender, just not the animation if I read that right. If I did not read that right and you can't import fbx to blender then use another format, v2.43 can import formats .x and .obj - most if not all other versions support .obj format.

You can't get the animation imported as its a shader written for dark basic pro language and not an actual animation in the sense you mean, shaders and materials probably won't import but the textures should work, you may have to load/reapply them, haven't tested any of this for .fbx but I use dark basic pro and blender and that is my experience of it(I use .x and .obj with blender). If you can get the geometry imported your good to go, you just have to load/reapply textures and come up with your own materials/shaders in blender, or if you intend to export after editing in blender then you will need to write your own shaders/materials for whatever software you are going to be using it with.

Return to Tree It